What is Picmonkey?
Picmonkey is an online tool that enables you to edit photos without requiring you to download any kind of software.
The best thing about this YouTube channel art maker is the fact that it is absolutely free.
However, in case you wish to utilize other features, the site also has a Premium version which you have to pay for to utilize the extra features.
In most cases, the free version is enough for most people. With Picmonkey, you can edit, touch up, design and collage your images.
Picmonkey features a good number of edit tools you can use. With this online tool, you will not need hefty priced tools like Photoshop.
How to Make YouTube Channel Art With Picmonkey
1. Go to picmonkey.com. Once on the website, open a new tab and go to Google images. In the search bar, search for channel art template. Choose one template and download it to your PC.
2. When the download is complete, go back to Picmonkey and click on the Edit tool and upload the template you downloaded to Picmonkey.
3. Next, go back to Google images and search for the gradient you want. For example, if you want a red gradient, all you have to do is enter ‘red gradient’ in the search bar and different images will show up. Identify the gradient that stands out the most to you and download the image to your PC.
4. Go back to Picmonkey and click on the overlay tool on the left-hand side. It is the tool with the butterfly icon. Next, click ‘Your Own’ then choose the image you saved in step 3. Expand the gradient to fit the entire work area. Next, fade the gradient out until you are able to see the background template image.
5. Next, based on what your channel is about, search for an image you’d like to have on your channel. For example, if your channel is about Call of Duty, you should search for a cool Call of Duty image. Locate the image and download it to your PC.
6. Go back to Picmonkey and select ‘Your Own’ to get the image to the editing tool. Resize the image to be the size of the middle darkest part of your template and place it on that part of your template.
7. Next, go to the eraser tool located under overlay and convert the eraser size to 100 and eraser hardness to 0. Once this is done, use the eraser to erase the ends of the image you just expanded.
8. Next, go to the Geometric tool also under overlay and get a rectangle shape. Place the rectangle above the template and expand it to fit the area above the template. Repeat this in the bottom of the template. Next, make the rectangles above and below your template brighter colors
9. Next, click on your gradient and fade it to 0%. 11, then click on each image you added and change the colors to match your gradient color.
10. Next, add your channel name. To do this, go to flamingtext.com. Choose a desirable font and type in your channel name. Edit the color, overlay pattern, pattern opacity, overlay gradient and gradient opacity as you wish. When you are done, download the image.
11. Go back to Picmonkey and select ‘Your Own’ to import the text. Resize the text and place it in the middle of your images. Do not make it too big.
There you go! You can now download the channel art and upload it to your channel.
Canva is a free online tool provided by Canva.com. With this tool, you can produce as many graphic designs as you want in a matter of minutes.
It is very easy to use and most importantly, you do not have to spend a lot of time or money to get a quality graphic design on this site.
How to make channel art with Canva
1. The first thing you need to do is signup for a free Canva account on Canva.com. All you need is your email address.
2. Once this is done, you will have access to Canva. Click on the plus sign at the top to get more design options. Scroll down and click on the YouTube channel art under Social Media and Email headers. This will open a new tab where you can begin your editing.
3. Next, upload a background image from your PC or use the free images provided by Canva.
4. Next, go to the text option and choose a text template. This will enable you to add any text you’d like to include on your channel. Edit the color and font to your liking until you are pleased with the results. Try different templates to see which one suits the background the most to come up with a great channel art.
5. Next, go to the upload section and upload your YouTube channel template. You can get a template from Google images.
6. YouTube suggests that all text and images should be in the text and logo safe area of the template. Make sure you place what you want to be seen in this area for the best results.
7. Expand the template and make it transparent using the transparency tool at the top. This will enable you to know whether or not all the images and texts you want to be seen are in the text and logo safe area.
8. If everything appears on the text and logo safe area of the template, you can delete the template guide.
9. Next, click on download on the top left and click on ‘image for web’. This will download the image to your PC.
10. Upload the channel art to your YouTube channel.