There are numerous tools you can use to create YouTube thumbnails. Unfortunately most of them are not affordable and are quite difficult to use.
This makes it challenging for most people to create great YouTube thumbnails.
Luckily, you are about to find out the best tools you can use to create amazing thumbnails in a matter of minutes.
1. Make a YouTube Thumbnail Using Canva
What is Canva?
Canva is an online graphic design tool offered for free by Canva.com. You can create so many things using Canva including YouTube thumbnails.
The best thing about Canva is the fact that it has numerous editing tools. This makes it possible for you to come up with unique thumbnails that make your content stand out.
To use Canva, you are required to create an account. Creating an account is free. All you will need is an email address and a suitable password. Once this is done, you will have access to all Canva’s features.
Canva is a very effective YouTube thumbnail creator and it is the best option if you are looking for an affordable way to make high-quality thumbnails.
How to Make a YouTube Thumbnail Using Canva
1. Start by creating a Canva account. For this, all you need is an email address and a password. Follow the instructions and log into your account. This will give you access to Canva.
2. Click on ‘use custom dimensions’ to set the dimensions for your thumbnail. This is a very important step because the proper dimensions for a YouTube thumbnail are 1280 by 720 pixels which is not available in any of the free options given.
3. Once you are done, you will be directed to the editing page. If you wish to come up with a collage image, select the collage template you’d like to work with on the left-hand side. If not, upload a background image for your thumbnail.
4. Next, upload thumbnails from your computer. The thumbnails will automatically be added to the collage if you choose to go for a collage background. Therefore, there will be no need for you to resize them.
5. To add text to your thumbnail, you will need to make the collage or single background image more transparent so that it does not stand out more than your text. To do this, go to the click on the drop down menu at the top to access the transparency tool and increase the transparency to about 50.
6. Next, click on the text icon. This will open different text design options. Select one and write the title of your video. It is advisable to use different text designs in order to achieve a unique thumbnail that stands out. Play with the fonts and font colors until you achieve a desirable text appearance.
7. Once you are done, click on ‘link and publish’ to save your thumbnail. You will have an option to save it as either an image or a PDF. Choose one depending on how you intend to use the thumbnail.
2. Using Laughingbird Software‘s Channel Graphics Creator
What is it?
Channel Graphics Creator is a YouTube video graphics machine. You can use this software to create YouTube channel arts, thumbnails and any other graphics you would like to include on your YouTube channel.
The best thing about Channel Graphics Creator is the fact that there are numerous modifiable templates to choose from.
It features over 50 thumbnail templates. This makes it possible for you to create your graphic designs in a matter of minutes.
Apart from this, the software also includes numerous editing images that you can use to personalize the templates to make your designs unique.
With just a few clicks you can have the best thumbnail for your video in the shortest time possible.
How to Make a YouTube Thumbnail using Channel Graphics Creator
1. First, launch the software and click on the template set drop down menu on the left-hand side. Next, click on YouTube Thumbnails. This will give you access to 50 modifiable thumbnail templates. Select one thumbnail and proceed.
2. Next, edit the template. You can add your own images or change the text to include the title of your video. To replace an image that is already on the template, all you have to do is click on the image on the template and delete it. Next, upload the image you want to use from your computer and resize it and position it where you want it to be on your thumbnail. The same case applies to the text. You can add or delete text to make the template look exactly how you want it.
3. Once you are satisfied with your results, export the thumbnail as a JPEG.
4. Next, go to your YouTube channel and place the thumbnail on the video.